Thursday, April 12, 2012

Only a few more days until I depart for my Rural Practicum. This week-long adventure will take place during the week of April 15th through April 20th. I will be going to New Stuyahok, Alaska. Pronounced just like it sounds [stuyahok](I think), but known to the locals as "Cetuyarap."  I am not sure what the it means in Central Yup'ik, but I hope to find out. This small Native community is located in Central Alaska. In 2011 it had a population of 501. An interesting fact about this Yup'ik community is that it has relocated its town location three different times. 




Here is a map to show you its relevant location in Alaska.


New Stuyahok
Here is a picture of the whole village and its airstrip


Well, so far I am very excited about my travels to this village. As of now, I have not packed any clothing, but I am considering packing a few tomatoes, Japanese dried peppers, a clove of garlic, cilantro and an onion to make some fresh salsa for students. I am sure they would appreciate some fresh vegetables. 

1 comment:

  1. Rafael,
    Keep the posts coming. I am very interested what you have to say. Good photos and have fun.
    U

    ReplyDelete